Running a campaign is an amazing adventure!! There's a lot to tackle, so here's a helpful guide of step-by-step instructions on creating your campaign.
- Visit Indiegogo
- Click 'Start a Campaign' at the top of the page
- Choose whether you'd like to raise funds on Indiegogo or Generosity. If you'll be creating a campaign on Indiegogo, please click "a project."
Note: This article outlines how to create a campaign on Indiegogo. If you will be creating a fundraiser for a cause, on Generosity, please see Generosity's Help Center.
- If you aren't already logged in, please follow the prompts to login and/or create an account, if needed.
- Enter the basic information for your campaign-- the funding goal, the campaign's currency, and the title. Don't worry, you can modify this information later!
- Click "Create My Campaign"
Once you've entered this basic information, you will be taken to Indiegogo's Create/Edit Campaign Tool.
- Use the tabs on the left hand side of the Create/Edit tool to navigate through the different steps of creating a campaign.
- Your new campaign will be saved in Draft mode.
- When your campaign is in Draft mode it is not viewable to the public.
- You can keep your project in Draft mode as long as you like!
Campaign Tagline & Card Image
- Make sure your image is both interesting and relevant to your campaign. This information is what people will see on the Indiegogo landing page, and they should be compelled to click on it.
- Your campaign title and short description are like the headline and subhead of your project — make sure you include everything someone would need to know for them to want to contribute.
Your Pitch Video
- Make a short video (1-3 minutes) that expresses your goals and intentions.
- The first ten seconds of your video count. First impressions are everything.
- If constructed wisely, this segment of your video can be leveraged as a YouTube banner ad (Jibo is one campaign that did this) and as a long-term piece of marketing collateral as you continue to grow your business.
- Star in the video yourself to make it more personal.
- Give contributors a sneak peek of your project, product, film, etc.
- Use music to set a tone for the video and the campaign.
- Make sure the video is clear and concise; visuals help.
- Invite your audience to join you on your journey; you are not just asking for money.
- End with a clear call to action.
- Your video must be uploaded to either YouTube or Vimeo- and you can add the URL to your video, in your campaign creation flow.
Your Written Pitch
- Put the most important information first.
- Tell a compelling story, and keep it short.
- Explain exactly why you are raising money.
- Share details about yourself, your team, and important events or people that shaped your project.
- Build trust with a specific budget breakdown.
- Spelling and grammar are important, so be sure to proofread.
- Break long text into sections with headings.
- Include pictures of your perks in the pitch text. They add personality and help break up lots of copy.
Fixed or Flexible Funding
- Choose which option best fits your project!Learn more about the different funding types, here.
- You can choose flexible or fixed funding if you are raising funds for an individual, business, other, or nonprofit organization, and have chosen USD, EUR, or AUD as your campaign's currency.
- Nonprofit campaigns: We moved nonprofit support over to our general credit card processor, Stripe, on February 28, 2017. Read more about raising funds as a nonprofit through Stripe here.
Choose the Payment Options available on your campaign.
- Credit Card and/or PayPal- availability of these depends on your funding type and currency.
- Credit card payments are available to campaigns raising funds in USD, CAD, EUR, and GBP.
- Fixed funding campaigns can raise funds via PayPal or credit card, depending on the campaign’s currency. Fixed funding campaigns raising funds in USD and EUR can raise funds via direct credit card only. Fixed funding campaigns raising funds in AUD can raise funds via PayPal only.
- Please note that at this time, fixed funding is only available for campaigns raising funds in USD, AUD and EUR. Please select one of those as your currency if you want to run a fixed funding campaign. We're hoping to be able to offer all currencies for fixed funding in the future.
- Campaigners wishing to raise funds in CAD or GBP should choose the flexible funding option and raise funds via direct credit card.
- For more on upcoming Payments changes to Indiegogo, please see our related article here.
Funds Recipient: Who should Indiegogo send the funds collected for your campaign?
- Please choose one of the four different recipient options (An Individual, a Business, a Nonprofit, and Other) that best fits who will be receiving the funds raised from your campaign. This is an important step when setting up your campaign, and will impact how you receive funds at the end of your campaign. Please read more in depth about this here.
Invite People To Join Your Campaign Team
- Enter the email addresses of the team members you'd like to add in the 'New Team Member Email' field
Note: Only make them an editor if you'd like them to be able to edit your campaign and have access to the Dashboard.
- Click 'Send Invitation' to send an email invitation to your new team member
Note: Please make sure that your team members set up Indiegogo accounts before you send out your invites, because the invite can only be accepted by people with Indiegogo accounts.Once your new team member accepts the invitation, they will show up as a team member on your campaign page.
Option To Share Your Draft Campaign With Others
If you'd like to share your draft campaign with others, you can do so by clicking the "Generate Link" under the "Extras" tab. You can copy the link you generated and send it to friends if you want them to take a look at your campaign draft before you go live with your campaign. It's a great opportunity to gather reviews of your campaign text, video, or perks in advance.
Note: Once you generated this draft campaign link, a new button will appear, named "Disable Link." Clicking on this button will prevent anybody to see your campaign even if you shared the link to your draft campaign. That way you are always in control over who can see your draft.
Option To Customize Your Campaign Link
Note: The campaign link in your browser's address bar is determined by your campaign's Title. For example, if your campaign is titled "My Campaign Title", the URL you see in your address bar will be: www.indiegogo.com/projects/my-campaign-title. If you change your title, the campaign URL displayed in your address bar will also change.
Because your campaign title may be long and might make your campaign link difficult to remember, you can create a short link to your campaign.
You can share your self-created short-link with your audience in emails, on Twitter, on posters, or anywhere your heart desire's.
- Campaign short links always have the following format on Indiegogo: http://igg.me/at/[enter word or a word-string]
- Example: You run a campaign called "My First Trip To India" so your campaign short link could look like this http://igg.me/at/my-first-trip or http://igg.me/at/trip-to-india or http://igg.me/at/india -- there are many possibilities and you can decide what works best.
- Anyone can type your campaign short link into their internet browser to get directly to your campaign page once it is live.
What is InDemand?
When you create your campaign, you can already decide to opt your campaign in to InDemand. Provided you've met your campaign's goal, with InDemand you can continue raising funds after your campaign deadline.
How a campaign becomes InDemand:
- "Opt in to InDemand" is selected
- Your campaign reaches its goal
- Your campaign meets its deadline
- Once all the three criteria above are met, your campaign will go into InDemand mode and is continuing to accept contributions.
Read more about the benefits of InDemand in InDemand FAQ.
Launch Your Campaign
There is no limit to the time your campaign can stay in 'draft' mode.
- Be sure you do one final check to ensure that all the applicable fields are filled out as you desire, as some important fields cannot be changed once you launch the campaign.
- If everything is completed to your preferences, click 'Launch Campaign'
- You may still have some required information that is missing. In this case, follow the prompts to complete the missing fields.
- Once everything is complete, click "Launch Campaign" and you'll see a final Pop-Up. Here you'll need to make sure you are comfortable with your currency, funding goal, or funding type (Fixed vs. Flexible). Please note, those items cannot be changed once you launch your campaign.