Campaign owners know that a lot of thought should go into determining shipping costs. In addition to the price it will cost you to create or develop your product, you also need to consider shipping costs - from packaging costs, to the cost of postage, to the carrier you will use, and variable prices based on your contributors location.
When you create a perk on Indiegogo, you can choose to set the shipping costs and indicate whether a perk ships to one county, a handful of countries, one region, or anywhere in the world. We hope this tool will help you when collecting shipping costs from your contributors.
You will be able to set shipping prices by location. Once a contributor enters a shipping address, they will see the correct shipping amount automatically added to the final contribution amount.
Here are a few simple steps you can take to create perks, with shipping costs:
When editing a perk, select “Yes, this perk contains items that need to be shipped.” under the “Perk Shipping Locations?” section. By selecting “yes” an additional field will appear called “Shipping Location(s).”
- Note: Shipping regions and rates left at the default setting (Worldwide / $0 USD) will automatically give free shipping to all contributors regardless of location.
To add a shipping cost for a particular country or region, simply click “Add another location,” select the country or region from the drop-down menu, and enter a shipping rate in the “Shipping fee added during checkout” field.
- In this example, this perk will ONLY ship to Canada, the United States, and EU countries. All backers from other countries won't be able to select this perk.
- Campaign Owners can add shipping rates for each country, or indicate costs for specific regions.
When you are satisfied with the shipping prices, be sure to save your changes. It's important to keep in mind that once your perk has been claimed, you will not be able to add or edit the shipping on your perk.
This option will allow you to set a standard global shipping rate, in addition to specifying rates for specific countries or regions. For example, your “worldwide” shipping rate may be $15, but your shipping rate for Canada may be $10. In order to set a worldwide shipping rate, select the option that says “Rest of World” from the drop-down menu.
This option allows you to set a standard shipping rate for the European Union (EU Member countries only).
When adding perks, the shipping rate for an individual region will always override the shipping rate for a region such as the European Union or Worldwide. For example, if your shipping rate for the European Union is $20, and your shipping rate to Italy is $10, the shipping rate will default to $10 if a contributor fills out an Italian shipping address.
A few additional notes:
- Shipping fees collected via your campaign will be reflected on your campaign and will be included in your campaign's total funds raised. The shipping fees will be included in your campaign's disbursement (minus Indiegogo platform fees and applicable 3rd party fees).
- If you choose "No" under “Shipping Address Required?,” no shipping information will be collected from contributors who claim this perk. You will still see the contributors email addresses so that you may follow up with them.
Curious about how your contributors will see the shipping costs? See our "Pay for Shipping" article.