As long as an order is eligible for a refund on our platform, you can initiate the refund of a contribution to your campaign. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open your campaign dashboard and click on the Contributions tab. This will bring up a list of contributions to your campaign.
2. Click on the link for the order or donation you would like to refund. This will bring you to the Order Info page.
3. Click the Refund Order button on that page to process the refund. The contributor will be notified by email that their order has been refunded.
If the funds for your campaign have already been sent to you, you will not be able to process a refund on Indiegogo.
- This means that it cannot be refunded electronically via Indiegogo back to the original credit card/PayPal account used. Instead, you'll need to work with the backer to issue a refund off of the Indiegogo platform.
- We find that for many campaigners and backers, PayPal seems to be a great option for issuing refunds. But other online payment methods, or refunds via check/cheque may be a better option for some customers.
- In all cases, we recommend reaching out to your contributor when issuing refunds. You'll need to work with them on the best method for you to send and for them to receive their refund off our platform, as well as collect their payment information, such as: PayPal account email address, the name to whom the check/cheque should be made out to, the mailing address to send the check/cheque etc.
- In cases where you need to refund a group of backers, or all backers, you will need to ensure you clearly notify all affected backers (both through an update posted to your campaign and through a direct email to backers) of the refunds. Ensure you are transparent about the reason for the refund, the method and timeline that the backer can expect to receive the refund, and a point of contact where the backers can reach you with any questions.
In the event that you have refunded a backer off of our platform, we recommend you mark that order as refunded on your dashboard.