Why can't I select this currency?
Stripe, our payment processor, has certain capabilities and restrictions regarding which currencies they can send to which bank account locations. Sometimes, the currency you want might not be available in your bank's location. To make sure you receive the funds you raise, we recommend the following currencies based on specific locations:
- If your bank account is in the United States, we recommend selecting USD. Find more about sending funds to a US bank account here.
- If your bank account is in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, or Sweden we recommend choosing EUR. Find out more about raising funds in EUR here. Please note that these locations can also choose USD, and have funds sent via international wire ($25 bank transfer fee is charged per wire).
- Coming soon! If your bank account country is in Australia, we recommend choosing AUD. Credit cards for AUD will be released later in Spring 2017.
- If your bank account country is in Canada, we recommend choosing CAD or USD. Find out more about raising funds with a Canadian bank account here.
- If your bank account country is in the UK, we recommend choosing GBP or EUR. Please note that the UK can also choose USD, and have funds sent via international wire ($25 bank transfer fee is charged per wire).
- If your bank account is in any other location, we recommend choosing USD. Please note that funds raised in USD and sent to a country outside of the US are sent via international wire and charged a $25 wire fee. Find out more about receiving international wires here.
Why can't I select this bank account country?
If you receive an error that your bank account country isn't correct, it's likely because you've chosen a specific currency and country of legal residence. Let's say you've chosen to raise funds in Australian dollars (AUD), and have chosen Australia as your country of legal residence. You must have an Australian bank account to receive funds in that situation. If you have an Australian bank account, you should select "Australia" in the bank account country field. Choosing any other country in that field (United States, France, Russia, etc.) won't allow you to proceed with launching your campaign. If you don't have an Australian bank account, you should choose a different currency, such as USD. Please see above for a list of available currency and location recommendations.
Similarly, if you choose Euro as your currency, France as your legal residency, and Canada as your bank account country, you will receive an error. If you want to raise funds in Euro, you will need to supply a bank account in the EU. If you want to use a Canadian bank account, you'll need to select CAD or USD as your currency. Please see above for a recommended list of available currency and country combinations.